Saturday, June 28, 2008

What A Day.....

They say it's all in a title right? Where this title just says it all. Between Emma and Alex I spent about 6 hours at Watson Clinic today!

Emma has another cold and sinus infection, so with more antibiotic to hold us off we are waiting for another cold to pass us by until we can get Daddy's insurance to kick in and it's off to see the ENT for her tonsils and adenoids to be removed. My only consolation this time is that at least the little princess isn't running a fever this time around. We will await a call from the Pediatrician on Monday to get the ball rolling on getting in with the ENT specialist, as of now he is out of the country for 3 weeks, which actually works out well for us in the timing of insurance world but we still need to get our name on the list for when he returns. In the meantime I'm praying that Emma will get better very quickly this time around and hopefully not have any more problems until we can get these nasty tonsils of hers removed.

Now, on to Alex. So, I'm at the pediatricians office with Emma and of course like all good patients I have my cell phone on silent. Except this time I shouldn't have, since Lowe's was calling me about 5 times. I get out of the Dr's office to flip my phone off of silent and let Ashley (who was keeping Ethan at the time) know I was on the way back to the house. Long story short about an hour after Alex went in this morning he apparently started getting really lightheaded and dizzy and then passed out! My sister had to go pick him up from Lowe's and bring him home, I met them there and passed off the kids to her to take off to Nana's house and Alex and I headed up to Urgent Care. 5 hours, an EKG, Blood Panels, Chest Xrays, and 10 Blood pressure checkups later he was diagnosed with a Vasovagal Episode (see Website of interest to the right for more detailed info). Now that I can actually relax and know that he's okay with nothing life threatening or really serious I can say this: LEAVE IT TO MY HUSBAND TO HAVE SOMETHING RIDICULOUSLY RARE! :) That's so like him! The urgent care doctor was really great and very reassuring and after coming home tonight and researching some on the Internet I am much more at ease.

Basically a Vasovagel episode is when the blood pressure bottoms out which in turn causes nausea, dizziness, difficulty breathing, warmth feeling, tunnel vision, and ultimately passing out (all of these symptoms & more Alex had). There are many different triggers that can cause it and at this point we are hoping that Alex just stood up a little too quickly from bending over. We will keep an eye on him the next few days and see what's going on with a follow up visit to the primary care physician next week. HOPEFULLY, he will be one of the majority that only has 1 of these such episodes in his lifetime. But, knowing him he won't be...In that case the episodes are managed with increased salt intake and sometimes blood pressure medication. None of these obviously are serious as long as he doesn't pass out and hurt himself.

So, like I said, What a Day. Alex has been pretty lightheaded all today but the Dr. said his symptoms of dizziness and nausea can last around 24 hours. I am praying that after a good nights sleep he will feel better tomorrow and we won't ever have to deal with this again, we'll just have to wait and see. For now I should probably join the rest of my household with getting some shut eye........Hopefully my children will cooperate and actually sleep tonight.....that would be so great. Goodnight for now, I'll post more tomorrow.

1 Comments:

Blogger Angela said...

I hope everyone slept well and is feeling better this morning.

6:52 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home